Lighting Up The Tower
Location: Providence Tower, London
Duration: 4 days
H&S Statistics: No lost time, accidents or other incidents
Delta were awarded the contract to supply and install three of our best-selling, LED Red Medium Intensity WL3000 Aircraft Warning Lights to the top end of a residential tower that will be operational during the hours of darkness. The installation also included a UPS Control Panel, Brackets, a Junction Box, Photocells and a Master Controller.
*At 136 metres high – 44 storeys in total – Providence Tower is one of the tallest structures in London, as shown in the above aerial shot
Created by developer Ballymore and built by Balfour Beatty, the project was announced in June 2012. The tower takes its place beside Canary Wharf, which is famous for the scale and beauty of its urban landscape. It is also very close to Heathrow Airport.
Residential towers of this quality are few and far between in London. Providence Tower is a project of the greatest significance and represents a rare opportunity to invest in first class accommodation of the highest possible standard.
The project objectives were:
- for the aircraft warning lighting system to operate in any eventuality
- to provide a safe working environment and prevent any injury or impairment to employees and other people involved with the project
- to minimise the impact of the site on the environment
- to have the job completed as per the clients specified timescales
- to liaise and coordinate with other parties and contractors on site ensuring that all crossover work did not negatively impact on the programme
Health & Safety
A Site Supervisor was used to inform all site attendants of any known hazards and briefed all the operatives with a health and safety plan and arrangements for communication. All the planning, processes and work were successful, without any issues or dilemmas.
Mandatory personal protective equipment that needed to be worn at all times included a hard hat, safety glasses, hi-visibility vests/jackets, safety gloves, steel toe cap boots and overalls.